Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Red Bean Burgers


Erik is HUGE fan of beans! I didn't think I was much of a meat eater until we spent more time together. Now I seem like a dedicated carnivore. In comparison to the average American, I still look like I'm a vegetarian. I've revamped the bean burger recipe I used some 12 years ago and this is what we came up with.

This recipe makes 8 large burgers! Packed with fiber and protein. Feel free to substitute 1 egg for 1 tbsp of ground flax meal (mix 1 tbsp hot water with 1 tbsp flax meal to thicken.)

1 cup dried red beans
1-2 chicken boullion
2-3 tbsp olive oil + 1 tbsp butter optional
1 small onion= 3/4 cup chopped
1/2 zucchini chopped
1 yellow bell pepper
1 jalepeno pepper
3/4 cup chopped mushrooms
1-2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp curry
1/4 chopped FRESH cilantro or parsley or both
couple dashes of hot sauce
4 eggs beaten
1/4-1/2 cup bread crumbs

Soak beans over night. If you didn't do that, add water and start boiling them. After the first boil pour off water and replace with fresh water. Add boullion, bring to a boil then cut down to a simmer. You may need to add more water. They tend to soak up a lot. Especially these larger red beans. When they're almost tender you can start the veggies. Heat a pan with olive oil (and butter). Add all chopped veggies and garlic. Add salt, cumin and curry. Stir and saute. Set aside. Check on the beans again. They should be firm and cooked through. Strain. and pour beans into a medium sized bowl. Use a pastry blender to coarsely chop them or do it with a knife on a cutting board. Mix sauted veggies and beans together. ( I had some left over quinoa and sprouted lentils that I added to the mixture too.) Add chopped herbs and hot sauce. Stir in eggs and sprinkle on bread crumbs as needed. The mixture should be wet looking, a little mushy. It will ensure a good bind when you cook them or else they fall apart easier. Spoon some onto the olive oil hot pan. Spread out into burger shapes and cook until toasted then flip carefully.

My personal favorite is to serve on multi-grain or rye bread with fixins' like fresh spinach or lettuce, spicy mustard and sliced tomatoes.






place a mound of mixture and flatten,
if it falls apart when you flip it, add more egg



I didn't cook all of it so I only added egg to what I
used and put the rest in the fridge

3 comments:

  1. what can you do with stew meat, carrots, potatoes, onions, and frozen corn on the cob?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a pot pie to me. Thaw the corn on the cob, slice it off. if the stew is cooked does that mean the carrots, potatoes and onions were in it? if so, fine. saute them with some fresh herbs in a pan with butter, salt and pepper, and corn. I would say thyme and sage or to pep up the tone go for cilantro and a hint of cumin. I would add something green like kale or spinach (put in raw) because I love green veggies.
    Use the dough recipe and make two batches. roll out half or pinch it along the pie pan to expand it. fill with all your contents and put other half rolled out on top like it was an apple pie. pich along edges to make perty:) cut two slits and bake at 350 until the crust looks golden. you can brush on egg whites to make it more golden, but do it when its almost done. Cheers David!

    ReplyDelete
  3. send something a little more challenging David. I always wanted to have a party where people bring random food from their fridge or kitchen then I have to make something out of it...

    ReplyDelete